Friday, October 30, 2015

Considering Types

In this blog post I will be considering the different types of arguments that I could use for my project 3
Screenshot of WPL 414
Screenshot from Sean Bottai's website, taken on October 30th, 2015

After learning about the different arguments, I feel as if a position argument, evaluative argument, or a refutation argument. 

A position argument I believe would be the most effective because this debate has two clear sides. I would take my position on the issue, build the strongest argument for that side, then I would also be prepared to defend my position. There is really only a pro side and an against side so this seems to be the most practical type of argument. 

Another type of argument that would be effective is the evaluative argument. I would use examples of computer science in schools and evaluate how effective it has been in these schools. By doing this it would show that computer science is effective in schools and in turn should be emphasized more in all schools. 

A refutation argument would also work. Since this side is two sided, there is a clear anti-computer science argument. I would simply refute this argument and this would be simultaneously building up my argument. This is something I could do in the positional argument as well. I could combine the two very effectively. 

The casual argument and proposal argument just simply do not fit the issue I have at hand. It is hard to make the topic I am dealing with into a cause and effect type of argument. There also is not any problems with no computer science, it is just something that would be very beneficial to add to schools.

Reflection:
I read and commented on the Considering Types post and My Rhetoric Action Plan post of Grace. I also read and commented on the Considering Types post and My Rhetoric Action Plan post of Olivia. Through reading their posts, I've come to learn that the type of argument that will be used is heavily reliant on what kind of issue is being debated. Some issues have solutions, some are rooted from problems, and some are simply in order to try and enhance a situation that does not need fixing. It seems as if most of us have an understanding on our arguments and what we will need to do in order to maximize our argument, this means we understand who we are trying to reach and what type of argument will do this the most effectively. 

2 comments:

  1. I think it's smart that you're thinking about combining the position and refutation argument to further your writing , I didn't think about combining the arguments I chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to have a pretty good idea of what argument will be appropriate for your project. I agree that a position argument is best for taking a side on an argument so you're on the right track. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete