Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Analyzing Context

In this blog post I will be answering the questions regarding context from Writing Public Lives

Screenshot of Writing Public Lives page 340.
Screenshot from Sean Bottai's website, taken on October 27th, 2015

  • There are two key perspectives in the debate that I am studying. The two perspectives are those who would like to see computer science taught in schools and those who do not want computer science to be taught in schools. It is simply a two sided debate and there is not much lee way when it comes to opinions. 
  • The main point of disagreement is whether computer science should taught in schools or not. Your opinion on this will basically put you in whichever side of the debate you belong with(based off of your opinion). 
  • Possible points of agreement could be a way to implement the teaching of computer science but not at the level that some people want to see it implemented at. It would have to be a compromise between the two sides. 
  • The basis for the opinion that each side is based off of is coming from the person's ideology. Some people see computer science in education as a platform for much greater knowledge. Other people's ideology is that by placing an emphasis on computer science will make it to other core areas of knowledge such as English, writing, and math will not receive a substantial amount of attention in schools. 
  • The actions that they want to be taken are to either implement computer science or not depending what side of the debate they are on. Legislators have the final say when it comes to who decides what is taught in school so this is who they have to persuade. 
  • The perspectives of those who want computer science to be implemented is the perspective that backs up my argument the most. I chose these because I felt that I aligned with the side that wants to teach computer science in high schools more. For this reasons, I share the same perspective with most people on that side of the debate and I can use their arguments to help form my argument. 
  • I think that the perspective of computer science taking valuable time away from other core topics is a valid argument that goes against my argument. I think it is a valid point but can the teaching of computer science can be manipulated to make sure that the core topics do not lose any valuable time. 

Reflection: I read the blog posts of Joki and Jon. Joki and I had very similar approaches when analyzing the context. We both have a very two-sided debate and understand both sides of the debates. With that said, we also have a side of the debate that we side with more and will have to use our side's perspectives to try and disprove valid points made by the other side of the debate. After reading Jon's blog post, it seemed like he understood all sides of his debate but did not fully have a grasp on which side of the debate he stands with.

1 comment:

  1. I have an argument that is similar to yours in the way that there are really only two possible arguments and I think that it will help us in the long run because there are going to be strong sources for and against the arguments and it will provide concrete evidence. Also, I think that you have a strong sense of what side you are on which is helpful.

    ReplyDelete