Monday, October 5, 2015

Analyzing My Audience

In the post below I will be answering questions regarding the audience of the article of the debate that I have been analyzing. I will be answering the questions provided by A Student's Guide on page 41.
TopRank Online Marketing "Audience" Taken February 19th, 2008 via flickr Attribution-ShareAlike Generic 2.0

  • What are their beliefs and assumptions?
The beliefs of the audience is split. There are the "old fashioned" people who believe that it would be absurd to teach computer science to kids who are still learning to read and write. They also have this belief because they are not the biggest fans of computers in general. On the other hand, the other audience believe that by teaching computer science, the children will find it's progressive learning style benefit them in all other areas of their education. 
  • What kind of language is appropriate for them?
Basic labnguage is important for this topic if the article and debate is meant to be applicable to all types of people. Basic computer science language such as "coding" or "hardware" would possibly be used in most articles so it is important for the reader to be familiar with words such as these. 
  • What are their sociopolitical and economic backgrounds?
The audience varies since it is mostly directed at schools and the parents of the children that would be taught the computer science in the elementary schools. This means that it would be people of all different backgrounds, making this debate somewhat personal for almost any person. 
  • What position might they take on the issue?
The position that would be taken is the one that would benefit the children the most. In some cases it would be seen that the best situation for the children would be to teach them computer science. On the other hand, some parents and schools would see it to be more beneficial to teach the students computer science. In tis situation it really is "either-or"
  • What will they want to know?
Both sides truly want to know what is best for the children. It has not been unanimously decided what is better and for that reason people are still asking, "should computer science be taught in elementary schools?"
  • In general, how can they best be persuaded?
Factual evidence will be the more efficient way to persuade the audience. If they can see statistics or factual evidence that proves that children either benefit from being taught computer science in elementary school, or suffer from being taught it, the audience will be persuaded to that side. 

Reflection: After reading the blog posts of Lia and Olivia I learned that they did a good job analyzing their audience, and that I did as well. I explored the different view points of my audience and I explored how and why they thought the way they did about the topic at hand. This will help me later on in my project when I have to explore why the opposing sides feel they way they do about the topic of if computer science should be taught in elementary schools.  

2 comments:

  1. I have two very differing beliefs for my audience as well and I think that it would be interesting to see if the article is enough to actually persuade someone to think differently. I think you did an awesome job analyzing your audience and with my article as well, facts are the best way to persuade the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I analyzed the audience of my rhetorical analysis instead of the audience of my article so much of it was difficult to relate to. However, this analysis of the article's audience will help you in Project 2. I especially liked your section on what the audience needs to be persuaded, and you can definitely relate this to the effectiveness of the author.

    ReplyDelete