Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Thoughts on Drafting

       Fredrik Rubensson "Diary Writing" July 20, 2013 Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic 


  1. What parts of the book’s advice on the above bulleted topics are helpful for writing in this genre?
The advice given on how to analyze if your thesis statement is good. I really found the steps helpful, these steps were:
"Is it interesting?", "Is it precise and specific?", "Is it manageable?", "Does it adequately reflect your reading and the expected shape of your paper?". This is a good way to make your thesis better, by answering these questions in regard to your thesis you have created. The rest of the advice given by the book was also very valuable. It gave great advice on how to write introductions, explaining what to do and what to avoid. The advice given on conclusions was also very helpful, my favorite tip from this section was to "paint a picture". It should be memorable and wrap up everything, painting a visual conclusion in the reader's mind. The book had very helpful advice in general. 

    2. What parts of the book’s advice on these topics might not be so helpful, considering the genre you’re writing in?

For the QRG, the thesis and conclusion are relevant but they also are not. The QRG is not written like other articles where a thesis is in the beginning and the conclusion is at the end. Each section contains a thesis and sometimes a conclusion. A QRG is broken up into smaller paragraph, PIE paragraphs if you chose to use them. The PIE paragraphs are usable in a QRG for the different sections but they need to be formatted differently to be utilized in a QRG.

Reflection:
After reading the blogs of Lia and Olivia I realized that the importance of a thesis was not as big as I had thought. It may be because I'm still wired in the typical essay writing mode. I also came to learn that I can utilize the elements of a PIE paragraph without actually writing a PIE paragraph. The last thing I learned was that the introduction should be really well done in a QRG considering that it opens up the QRG, a genre that is very exploratory. 

1. Building a thesis throughout the paper
2. Utilize the conventions of a PIE paragraph
3. Make my introduction better

4 comments:

  1. I find I disagree with you on the conclusion part. I think QRGs do need some conclusion, even if it's short, just to wrap everything up and explain where the issue is going from there. A conclusion will help your QRG stay memorable after the reader finishes.

    I thought the "looking forward" part of the conclusion section was really helpful too, since we need to be able show how our topic is relevant to the general public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the guiding questions for the thesis were helpful as well, especially because the purpose of a QRG seems to be to answer general questions readers have about a topic. I hadn't thought much about a conclusion in my QRG but I will definitely look more into that when I'm editing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, we can take parts from every section of the book and adapt them to the QRG genre. PIE isn't formally necessary but strong well developed paragraphs are. Conclusions are needed for the work to be memorable and a strong thesis gains interest from readers. I definitely found your post helpful and it gave me some things to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What struck me most about your ideas about what was helpful was your discussion of imagery. I've been working on writing and shaping my draft, and have planned to add images and such, but the imagery should be more of a priority for me throughout the drafting process.

    ReplyDelete