Friday, September 18, 2015

Reflection on Project 1 Draft

In this post I will be reflecting on my QRG draft by answering the bulleted questions. The two QRGs that I peer-reviewed were written by Allison and Mathias. The editing stage might possibly be the most important part of creating a body of writing. 



Diana Robinson, "Reflections" January 25, 2013 via Flickr. Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic

Audience
  • Who will be reading my document? Who am I trying to reach?
In reality, the only people reading my draft will be my English class and Professor Bottai. The audience of the article if this were a popular article would be individuals involved in the computer science field.  It could also be geared towards the public who are interested in women's rights. 
  • What are their values and expectations? Am I meeting those?
The reader expects to read a non-bias informative QRG about the Satya Nadella controversy. The reader also expects for the author(me) to put it into context as to why people are upset and the significance of the controversy. I haven't finished yet but that is what I have been creating in my QRG. 
  • How much information do I need to give? How much context/background should I provide?
The whole controversy needs to be explained so as much information as is needed to do that. I think it's important to make sure the reader understands the controversy. I also need to put the situation in context so the reader can understand why the controversy made so many people upset. The average person does not know the situation of women in computer science so it is my job as the author to educate them on it. 
  • What kind of language is suitable for this audience
 The language should be formal enough to the point where it isn't slang. With that said, it can be written like a blog, with informal structure and lots of white space. The language itself should be pretty formal, at least on the level of college English. 
  • What tone should I use? Am I consistent with it?
The tone I should use is one that alternates between informative and questioning. I write the QRG in a way that leaves the reader forming their own opinion because I question both sides of the controversy. I also write in an informative manner that educates the reader on the controversy which helps them form their opinion. 


Context 

  • What are the formatting requirements? Do I meet them?
I currently have done a good job at meeting the formatting requirements. I have multiple different sub topics and leave the QRG with white space, making it informal like a blog. 
  • What are the content requirements? Do I meet them?
The content requirements are "Who, What, Where, When, Why". My QRg does a pretty good job on hitting on these and going beyond. I should put in more quotes and images to make it more credible. 
  • Does my draft reflect gained knowledge or skills in addition to my own voice?
My draft reflects the knowledge I have learned and found important to understanding the controversy. I write in a way that is a combination of formal writing I have learned in school mixed with my own style of writing.
  • Have I addressed any grammatical issues highlighted in my class or previous assignments?
 I haven't turned anything in for this class but I have tried to focus on struggles that I have faced all through out high school. I tried to minimize wordy sentences and run on sentences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment